February 11, 2011

WAR!! What Is It Good For?

Absolutely nothing!!

My little brother signed up for the Army, against advice from my parents, Doug and myself and pretty much everyone else in the family.  My dad was in the Air Force, so my family is pro-military, but my brother had opportunities and scholarships to go to college, which would be a better option.

He decided not to go to college, instead allowing the military to pay for his education.  Although we may not agree with it, my entire family now supports his decision.  We are proud of him for joining during wartime and for being a brave soldier, willing to put his life on the line to keep our freedoms.

I don't think anyone wants their family member(s) to go off to war, but we all realize it is a necessary evil.

Unfortunately, my brother's time has come to deploy to the Middle East.  He will be gone for awhile and will see and do things no 20 year old should ever have to see and do.

He is my only sibling and I am afraid of the very real possibility that his deployment could make me an only child.  Everyone has told me that it is getting safer over there and that more soldiers are coming back perfectly fine, but I am still incredibly scared for my brother's safety.  I guess all I can do is pray daily for his well-being and hope that he and his battalion return safely.

This war has been going on for almost 10 years now.  I hope that VERY soon, we can put an end to this fighting and bring ALL of our troops home safely.  I don't want any other families to feel what I am feeling right now, as I prepare to watch my brother board a plane to the unknown.

Please pray for him and all of our soldiers and their families during this time of war.

No comments:

Post a Comment