February 23, 2011

Filters

Doug and I were talking this afternoon about people saying what they think before thinking about what they say.  As one ages, generally, they begin thinking about what comes out of their mouth and process it before actually saying it.  It is in the best interest of an adult (for their job, relationship) to filter the things that go through their mind before allowing inappropriate thoughts to exit the mouth.


I don't know if it's the Italian in him, the way he was raised or what, but my dad never has and never will have a filter.  It's just how he is.  Everyone who knows him has just learned to either ignore him or pretend not to know him in public.  He says what he thinks when he thinks it and doesn't care who is offended.


I have a family member that is old enough to know the importance of using a filter, but is too immature to and/or absolutely refuses to use a filter.  This has led to many arguments within our family when dealing with this person.


I admit, I used to have no filter whatsoever.  I used to say everything that came to my mind and it got me into a lot of trouble through the years.  I won't say I always use my filter even now that I'm older, but I definitely try as much as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment