February 16, 2011

The Flu! Yuck!

Monday evening, I had a slight tickle in my throat.  I coughed a little bit, but thought nothing of it, and went about my business.

Yesterday, I woke up and could tell that some sort of sickness was moving into my chest.  Doug, being the minimalist, thought that I should try some over-the-counter medicine before going to the doctor.  Therefore, I bought some severe cold and cough medicine and hoped for the best.

This morning I woke up absolutely miserable.  I felt so horrible that I told Doug he needed to stay home and take me to the doctor.  We went to urgent care as soon as they opened.  Almost 3 hours later, I was diagnosed with the flu, a strain of which the doctor hadn't really seen this season.  All 3 of us have gotten the flu vaccine this season, but with so many strains floating around, it's impossible to be protected from all of them.

I am taking Tamiflu, as is Doug so that he hopefully won't catch it.  I was also given cough syrup, so hopefully it will do its job and allow me to get some rest. 

The doctor was going to give some to Weston, but he's too young.  Doug called the pediatrician and explained that I had the flu, but unless Weston starts showing signs of the flu, other than a cough, he can't be treated for anything.  So now we wait and see (and pray) that Weston is not affected. 

Doug is doing a great job taking care of Weston and me.

I'm going back to bed here in my quarantine room.

No comments:

Post a Comment