February 8, 2011

Foods I Don't Like

A little more than a month ago, I wrote this post about cooking dinners for myself and Doug.  I stated how challenging it is because Doug's so picky.  The truth is, I'm sort of picky too.

I won't eat seafood of any type.  I will eat tuna fish from the can, but it has to be smothered in Miracle Whip, so I don't really count that.  Recently, I tried fish from Bonefish Grill.  I have had lobster and crab.  I've even tried shrimp, but I just don't like seafood.  When I was little and my mom would serve fish, I would sit at the table and gag.  One time, she made me stay at the table until I ate my dinner.  I ended up sleeping at the table. 

I also don't like hot dogs.  I'm not really sure when I began not liking them, but I remember the last one that I consumed was covered in chili and cheese.  That was in 2nd grade.  Since the toppings masked the flavor of the hot dog, I obviously wasn't a fan of hot dogs then either.  Doug and I went to the store to buy hot dogs for a family cookout last Thanksgiving weekend.  Neither of us knew where to find hot dogs because neither of us eat them.  I did try a bite that evening, but confirmed I still don't eat hot dogs.

Although it's not my favorite meal, I will occasionally eat Chinese food.  Something very plain, such as sweet and sour chicken or beef and broccoli.  I don't really like white or fried rice either.  I do like rice-a-roni though.  Curious...  When I still lived at home and my parents would go out for Chinese food, I would have them stop at a fast food restaurant and pick me up something.  Doug and I have a P.F. Chang's near our house.  Several people have told us how good the food is there, but I don't know if I want to spend good money on a restaurant that serves food neither Doug nor myself is too fond of. 

I'm not big on very ethnic foods either- German, Greek, Thai, Indian.  If I can't read the menu or decipher the food I am getting, I don't want it.  I should probably start sticking my neck out occasionally, because I probably won't die.

Those are basically the foods I won't eat.  After re-reading it, I don't think I'm as picky as I used to be.  I used to not eat steak, pork, lettuce, among other foods.  I do see, however, how my parents spoiled me by allowing me to not eat certain foods and buy me others.

I hope that although Doug and I are picky eaters, we can somehow raise our children to eat many different types of food.

No comments:

Post a Comment