February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day

In honor of Valentine's Day today, I'm remembering my 1st non-family Valentine and my 1st Valentine's gift, which weren't from the same person.

My first non-family Valentine was in 2nd grade.  His name was Jim and our families were friends.  I don't know if it was on a dare or I just decided to do this on my own accord, but while he was drinking from the water fountain at school, after recess, I swooped in and kissed him on the lips.  Looking back, obviously that was the wrong time, because who wants to kiss a sweaty boy?  I don't remember him being enamored with my actions and I'm pretty sure he didn't talk to me for awhile.  The last time I saw Jim was in high school.  I will say, he was cute even then.

The first time I got something on Valentine's Day from someone other than my family was back in 1994, when I was in 4th grade.  I had a "boyfriend", Andrew.  We saw each other at school and luckily for our young "love", we went to the same after-school care.  On Valentine's Day, when my mom picked me up, Andrew got permission to run out to our car and give me a rose.  Where he had been hiding it, I'm not sure, but it was a very sweet gesture.

Our "love" soon fizzled out and that was that.  I still remember my first Valentine's gift...and wonder why I thought he was so cute.  Lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment