April 6, 2011

Thank God For Unanswered Prayers

When I was in the car today, I heard "Thank God For Unanswered Prayers" by Garth Brooks and it made me start thinking about my unanswered prayers.

I think about the several guys that I thought, at the time, could become my husband.  I think about what my life would be like now if I had married any of those guys.  I was SO broken-hearted when those relationships ended.  I thought I'd never find love (not that I loved any of those guys).  I could have been married to a teacher, a Army guy or a policeman.  I probably wouldn't have the opportunity to be a stay at home mom, but more importantly, I wouldn't have Weston.  I know that my life wouldn't be nearly as amazing as it is now.

I also think about if life had worked out the way I had prayed, I would have moved to NYC to teach inner-city children, which means I wouldn't have worked at the learning center where I befriended one of Doug's friends who introduced me to the man of my dreams.  We wouldn't have lived in the same region, much less the same state, so there's no way we would have met each other.

It's no secret that I really want(ed) a girl.  I was devastated when Weston was born and the little girl I so badly wanted was a (not-so) little boy that I didn't know I needed.  I thank God every day for a healthy, adorable, sweet little boy.  I wouldn't trade him for several girls.  He is a mama's boy and I enjoy watching him learn new things and grow up.  It absolutely breaks my heart to think that, at one point, I didn't think I wanted a boy.  It also breaks my heart to think about the fact that he's almost 1.  This doesn't mean that I don't still pray that Baby #2 is a girl, but I can appreciate a boy and if #2 is a boy, I will still be overjoyed.

Lastly, I thank God that my grandmother passed away when she did.  I obviously miss her VERY much and do wish she were here.  However, I know she is no longer in pain and no longer worrying when the next heart attack or stroke will occur.  Her death caused me to re-evaluate life and to see that I needed to finish college.  If she had still been alive, knowing how precious life is, would I have followed a man that I hardly knew to Alabama, causing me to be away from her in her last years?  Would she have approved of me moving in with a guy I hadn't yet married?  No!  I would have respected her wishes and most likely stayed in Florida, perhaps forfeiting my relationship with Doug.

I thank God for unanswered prayers.  Even when we don't think the choice is right or good, it always works out in the end and He has what's best for us planned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment