April 27, 2011

Tornadoes

We are supposed to have a lot of tornadoes coming through today.  Since I moved from Florida and Mississippi, I am used to hurricanes, but never tornadoes.

With hurricanes, meteorologists predict where they think the storm will be going.  There are also warnings given days ahead of time which allows people in the probable area to evacuate the area.

Tornadoes are completely different.  You do not know where a tornado will be touching down, if it touches down, until 7-10 minutes before it will be in your area.  This doesn't give you much time to evacuate, much less grab your belongings and move into a storm shelter.  Another problem is that most homes in my area (including my own) don't have storm shelters.  Therefore, if a tornado does come to my area, Weston, Doug, the dogs and I will all be huddling in the hallway.  Our closet has two outside walls and our bathrooms have glass windows so the hallway is the safest place.

I'm very scared.

The power is flickering and it has taken me 45 minutes to write this short post.  Gotta go!

No comments:

Post a Comment