April 5, 2011

In A People House

Partly because I love books and partly because I am a teacher and know how important early literacy and books are, my child(ren) have a very expansive library of books.  These books range from picture books all the way up to chapter books.  Doug and I, along with my parents, add to their library at least once a week.  Some people may think that reading to children is ridiculous or a waste of time, but I honestly believe that it helps children immensely to learn letters and how to read and to expand their imaginations.

When I was little, I used to like a book by Dr. Suess called In A People House.  I'm not sure what was so 'great' about the book that I remembered it so well, but it was still one of my favorite books nonetheless.  It is about a mouse that shows a bird around a 'people house' naming items along the way.  The book contains household words such as window, wall, ceiling, ball, etc. which helps children put the spelling of words with pictures of the same item.


I knew that when I was ready to have children, this book would definitely be in their library.  I probably have my copy somewhere, however, after 17 moves, I'm not sure where the book is.  I had been looking in stores for this book for a while because I also thought it would be a good book for my classroom.  About a week before we found out we were expecting, I happened to see the book for the first time in many, many years, at a military Px of all places.  I mentioned to Doug that since I couldn't find it anywhere and because I had an inkling that perhaps I was pregnant, we should buy the book.  We had just gotten married and back from our honeymoon, so money was tight and Doug suggested we wait until we were sure we were having a baby.  Fast forward several months and I have forgotten about getting this book because I was focused on buying more important things for the baby.  I came home one day and found In A People House sitting on my pillow.  Doug had ordered it online and told me that the baby wanted me to have it.

Doug and I have both read this book to Weston several times and he seems to enjoy it.  I can't wait to read it to subsequent children and maybe even have Weston read it to his younger siblings.  Hopefully it will become one of their favorite books and read it to my grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment