April 16, 2011

Swimming

Last night, Doug and I became members of the YMCA.  We had both been members of the Y when we were younger, but since moving away from Florida, neither of us had thought to become members again.

Near our house is a brand new Y that opened about the time we moved up here.  Because it was so cold up here from the time we arrived until a few weeks ago, I hadn't given much thought to swimming and/or teaching Weston to swim.  However, the past few weekends have been beautiful and caused me to long for a pool to swim in.  I also decided this would be a good time to teach Weston how to swim.  I looked online for when the next swim class would start.  I found out that it starts on Monday, so I told Doug we needed to become members ASAP so that we wouldn't have to pay the non-member fee.  Another perk of being a member would be access to the awesome gym, so it's not just for swim lessons.

After we took a tour of the facilities, we decided that we should definitely join and that perhaps for the time being, Doug and I could work on teaching Weston to swim, since the classes were quite full, and I'd prefer to have a smaller learning environment for him.  Plus, they have a toddler splash pool that he can touch the bottom of, which will give him more confidence and me more peace of mind while he learns to swim.

This morning, we went shopping for a swimsuit, swim diapers and floaties for his arms.  This afternoon, we took Weston to the pool.  My firstborn is apparently a fish because he has no fear of the water and wanted us to let go of him so he could explore on his own.  We also went into the big pool and he swam back and forth in between Doug and myself.

The best bonus of all was that he was VERY tired when we got done swimming and he was ready for a long nap.  Hmm, maybe we'll go swimming every day...

No comments:

Post a Comment