December 9, 2010

When I Grow Up...

What happens to a dream deferred?


When I was in preschool, I wanted to be the first female President of the United States.  I thought it would be so cool to live in the White House and run the country.  Of course, I didn't know then what was involved in being the leader of a country.  Actually, come to think of it, I still don't.  I'm not sure why I gave up on that dream.  Perhaps I decided that society wasn't ready for a female president.  However, now that we have a black president, and with Hillary Clinton getting as far in the primaries as she did in 2008 and Sarah Palin mulling over the idea of running in 2012, I feel that the sky is the limit for any child who wants to be president.


When I was in upper elementary school, I wanted to be an astronaut.  This was in part because my grandmother took me to see space shuttle launches in Cape Canaveral.  I thought that going to space and being weightless would be a lot of fun.  I took flying lessons at the local airport so that I could get my pilot's license and I could be the one to fly the space shuttle when I worked at NASA.  I even used to have dreams that after I returned from space, I would go back to my fifth grade classroom in my space suit and talk to the students.  Unfortunately, I became discouraged when I found out that most people who are astronauts never go to space.  It was soon after deciding not to pursue becoming an astronaut that I began loathing math and science.  Now, I'm married to someone who works for NASA, so I guess in a way I'm still associated with NASA, huh?


When I was in high school, I wanted to be a lawyer.  I definitely had arguing down to a fine science.  I wanted to be a criminal prosecutor and help out victims and their families.  When I first went to college, I was in pre-law classes and learned a lot of interesting things and participated in several case studies.  I thoroughly enjoyed it, but for several reasons, I transferred to a college closer to home.


When I transferred, I changed my major to elementary education.  I decided that since I eventually wanted to be a mom, that teaching would be a better "mom" profession.  I would work the same basic hours as my children would be in school, I would have the same days off and vacations as they would and I would get to see them a lot more than if I was in a law office. 


Shortly after I graduated with my education degree, I met Doug, moved to Alabama and began teaching in Mississippi.  After teaching 3rd grade for a short time, the economy dropped out and I couldn't find another job teaching, so I focused on planning our wedding.  Very quickly after we got married, God blessed us with an unexpected miracle in the form of Weston.  Thankfully, Doug has a great job, so I have become a stay-at-home-mommy. 


Of all the things I wanted to be growing up, being a SAHM is by far the hardest, but greatest job I've ever dreamed of.  Maybe after my children are older, I may go back to being a teacher or maybe even go to law school, but for now, all that matters is watching my children grow, educating them and getting to hold their hands and snuggle with them for much too short a time.


So, what happens to a dream deferred?


Well, sometimes, reality turns out so much better!!


Day 9 of Advent:

No comments:

Post a Comment