December 12, 2010

Christmas Tree Shopping

Over Thanksgiving weekend, my extended family told me I had to see Christmas Vacation (with Chevy Chase), that it was a sin to have never seen this movie.  In Christmas Vacation, Chevy's character, Clark, drags his family out to find and cut the "perfect" tree.  After seeing the movie, I decided, with this being Weston's first Christmas, Doug, Weston and I should go cut our own tree.

This morning, when we woke up to snow, we decided that today was the day to go search for a tree.  There are 3 tree farms in our area.  We went to the one that was closest to our house first.  I put Weston inside my jacket with me so we would both stay warm while walking through the snow and wind.  There were 4 types of trees, however, we weren't too thrilled with any of them.  Either the needles weren't the kind we liked or the trees were too thin.  The next one we went to had a lot more trees to choose from.  This time, we just put Weston in his stroller and covered him with a comforter.  We almost picked out a tree here, in fact, there were 3 or 4 that we I seriously considered.  Doug found something wrong with all of them and I can't completely disagree with him.  Either the tree was too bare or had twisted branches. 

It turns out that since Doug and I both grew up buying trees at a tree lot, we expected trees to be a certain shape, fullness, color, etc.  The trees at tree farms, at least here, just aren't "Christmas trees" as we know them.  Therefore, we ended up buying our tree at a tree lot.  I will post pictures of our 2010 tree after it has been trimmed.

I was a little disappointed that we didn't complete our find-and-cut-a-tree adventure.  Luckily, we still made memories, which will last a lifetime.  Walking through the snow and looking at trees with saw and measuring stick in hand was so much fun!

Here are a couple random pictures from today:

Baby Christmas Trees that were just planted.
                                                      

A donkey who wanted to chat with me.  You can see the snow on his fur.

The donkey's horse friend who wanted to say 'hi' and try to nibble my hand.


Advent day 12 with a happy Weston:
                                       

Hopefully, we'll get more snow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment