December 8, 2010

Two Years Ago

Two years ago today, I was a third grade teacher in south Mississippi.  I thoroughly enjoyed my little people and couldn't wait to see them everyday.  We were beginning to talk about holidays around the world.

Two years ago today, Doug had a stomach bug, but insisted on going to work.  Shortly after I dropped him off and got to my school, Doug called me and told me that he wasn't going to make it through the day.  Since we worked in a different state than we lived in, we rode to work together.  I left work to pick him up and we drove the 45 minutes back home so he could rest.  That was the last day in 2008 I went to work because I got so sick, I thought I was going to die.

Two years ago today, my mom called me and reported that her yellow Labrador, Remy, was in labor.  Doug and I had already decided that we were going to take one of the puppies, so I was very excited that my new puppy was being born.  We wanted either a chocolate or a yellow Lab.  There was a very good possibility of getting one of the two colors, with mom being yellow and dad being chocolate.  Seven black and zero chocolate or yellow puppies later, Remy was done delivering.  For the record, last December 22, Remy delivered 10 more puppies, fathered by the same chap, all black. 

Since my parents were in Florida and I was in Alabama, I was going to have to wait 11 days until Christmas break to meet the new additions.  As soon as I saw all of the puppies, I knew which one would be ours.  However, Doug picked out which puppy we were taking.  I sort of "led" him to a precious little girl that seemed to be the calmest one.  Over the course of our vacation, we fell in love with Waveland Wrigley.  Doug, a life-long Chicago Cubs fan, named her after a street that surrounds Wrigley Field.
 
In mid-January, my mom brought Waveland up to our home and goodness she was adorable!!  Hattie didn't know what to do with such a little ball of fur.  Shortly after Waveland moved in, Hattie set her straight that she was already established and thus the boss and they have gotten along ever since. 

Waveland thought she'd "walk" her sister who was about 10x her weight.

This was the "doggy daycare" we set up in the closet while we were trying to pack to move.

When we brought Weston home, Waveland took to him and has been like a second mother to him. She enjoys jumping in Weston's crib and sitting or laying down.  She also likes to sit with him for story time.
                                      
 
She is such a sweet girl and gives so much love to everyone she meets.  For her birthday, she had some ham and pineapple and then for dessert, she had a FrostyPaw.  All the dogs in our extended family get one for their birthday.  She'll be getting her actual present as soon as Doug and I pick something out for her. 
Happy 2nd Birthday sweet Waveland!!  We love you very much and are so glad you are the puppy we picked!

On a side note, Hattie and Waveland have a water bowl outside and the past few days, it has been frozen over.  They are very confused as to how to get water from their bowl and it's kind of funny to watch their faces as they attempt.  Apparently Waveland decided she was tired of having a frozen water bowl and figured out how to get the slab of ice out of the bowl and started carrying and eating the ice around the yard.

Day 8 of Advent:

Stay warm y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment