December 11, 2010

Thankful

I know that Thanksgiving was last month, but I wanted to talk about one thing that I am thankful for.

I am thankful that I have a healthy child.  Sometimes I complain that Weston came out 6 weeks old in size, at almost 9 pounds and 22 inches.  I feel that I missed the "newborn" stage.  Even now, at 5 months old, people usually think that Weston is 7 or 8 months old.  Doug has a former co-worker whose granddaughter, born normal gestation and weight, is 6 weeks old and still weighs less than Weston did at birth.

That said, I read blogs and hear stories about babies that have either come far too early or for whatever reason become very sick in childhood.  My heart aches for these families.  I can't imagine what it must feel like to have a baby growing inside you and then have your pregnancy end abruptly or to watch your child grow for a couple years and then lose them.  You then spend your days and nights hoping and praying for your baby to survive, to get better.  You stare at them through plastic and don't get to hold them for weeks, sometimes months.  On one blog I read, the baby was born at 26 weeks at 1 pound, 6 ounces.  She is now a little over a month and her mom just got to hold her for the first time and that was with blankets, wires, positioners, etc.  Someone I knew in college had a child that was diagnosed with cancer when he was 17 months old and died when he was 23 months old.  In a matter of 6 months, this person's son went from a healthy little guy to a terminally ill fella that lost his battle.

Obviously, something could happen to Weston or to future children, but for now, at this moment, my little boy is very vibrant and healthy.  He is very tall and thin, hitting his milestones on time and is always happy.  As healthy and as good of a baby he is, I can understand how the Duggar family could have 19 children.  This doesn't mean I am having 19 children, nor do I think that every baby will be as good as Weston is.

The bottom line is that I am so, so, so thankful that Weston is so healthy.  I know God doesn't give any parent more than they can handle, but I don't know where parents of NICU babies or terminally ill children get their strength from. 

I am praying for all of the NICU babies, sick children and their families.  Please pray with me.

Day 11 of our Advent tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment