December 10, 2010

Just Don't Look Them In the Eye

The mall in the area we just moved from in south Mississippi was, in a word, pitiful.  I'm not sure if this was because Hurricane Katrina caused most of the stores to close/move or because there were about 100 people in our town, so there wasn't enough revenue to keep the stores open.  In any case, on a good day, the mall had 12 people shopping amongst the 4 open stores.

The malls where we live now are more like normal malls.  You know, ones with many stores and people, and at this time of year, a Santa.  However, these malls also have a lot of kiosks.  There are a few problems with kiosks.  First, most people don't need stuff at the kiosks, so they are kind of a waste.  Secondly, the ones up here are mostly selling University of Alabama and Auburn University merchandise.  Doug is a University of Florida fan and I am a Louisiana State University fan.  Therefore, we are not interested in such merchandise.  The biggest issue I have with kiosks is that they like to pester you to come try/see their items for sale.  This could be skin cream, neck massagers or those helicopters that threaten to take an eye out while the employee flies it to get your attention.

I have decided that as long as you don't look them in the eye, they don't bother you as much.  It's kind of the game of "if I don't see them, they won't see me, thus they won't bother me".  I tried that theory tonight while at the mall.  It worked for the most part.  Only when I forgot to keep my head down or avert my eyes did I get invited to try skin products and the like. 

Getting slowed down while trying to shop with an infant at Christmas is slightly frustrating.  I know they are just trying to do their job and sell their goods, but if I want something from their kiosks, I'll probably go over and browse.  Which reminds me, don't go to the food court if you don't like Asian food.  Those people also seem to think that everyone wants a sample.  Again, if I want to try your fried Chihuahua, I'll definitely saunter on up and ask for a delicious piece.

Day 10 of Advent with a very hungry and exhausted little fella: 

No comments:

Post a Comment