December 22, 2010

6 Christmases

My family and I are getting ready to spend our 6th Christmas without the matriarch of our family, Amie.  Amie's real name is Nancy, but when grandchildren began being born, she decided she'd be called "Grammy".  I, being the eldest grandchild, couldn't (or didn't choose to) pronounce Grammy, so she became "Ammy" or "Amie".  Everyone- uncles, aunts, cousins, extended family- all called her that.

She was more than just the matriarch to our family.  My grandfather died in 1984, before any grandchildren were born and just after his youngest child's 19th birthday.  This left Amie to be a father and a grandfather, along with being a mother and grandmother.  She went on field trips, climbed in tents and fixed cars and plumbing.  She fixed boo-boos, dried tears and went fishing.  She was the greatest person I've ever known.

Amie has missed so much in the past almost 6 years.  My brother and I have both gotten married, I have had a precious little boy, I graduated from college, my cousins have began driving (watch out!) and my youngest cousin is a beautiful tween.

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of her and wish she could be here to see how her grandchildren are turning out and to meet her great-grandson.  I do, however, know that she is watching over all of her family and likes what she sees.

On a lighter note, Advent day 22:

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Thanks for commenting today and for visiting! :)

    It's another GIRL! :) :)

    ReplyDelete