December 2, 2010

Holiday Spirit

Growing up, my parents (mostly my mom) and my grandmother made the holidays very special for myself and my brother.  Will (my brother) and I were lucky enough to live in the same town as our grandmother and we were able to see her a lot.  We would have Thanksgiving supper, as she called it, at her house.  From Thanksgiving through Christmas, Will and I would help our mother and grandmother decorate both houses and shop for family members.  It was always the most fun and memorable time of the year. 

Will and I were also encouraged to help out those less fortunate than ourselves.  When we were younger, we would use money we had saved up to buy toys for other children.  As we got older, we realized that there are a lot of senior citizens, especially in Florida, where we grew up, that didn't have families visiting them or grandchildren close enough to visit them like our grandmother had.  Therefore, we would use our money to purchase items (shampoo, lotion, aftershave, fuzzy socks) to put into shoe boxes and give to assisted living facilities.

Now that I am an adult and married with a child, I still feel that giving, especially during the holidays is very important.  I want to pass the idea of giving and not always receiving to Weston (and future babies). Although there are definitely children that aren't as fortunate as Weston is, many organizations and charities are in place to help children out during the holidays.  There are very few organizations or charities set up to provide a pseudo-family or Christmas for the elderly.


Doug and I discussed giving a donation to some sort of senior home.  However, that doesn't guarantee that the residents will be given anything for Christmas or have any familial interaction.  Also, I know that Weston's grandparents, two of whom live in Mississippi and two of whom live in Florida, would LOVE to see him  everyday during the holidays.  Thus, Doug and I decided that we would make bags (we can't get enough shoe boxes) for an assisted living facility that is up the street from us.  We would deliver them sometime a little closer to Christmas, Weston could charm all of the older folks and we would all have holiday spirit.

Today, Weston and I went up to the home to speak to the director and find out if a) it would be alright to make bags for the seniors and b) the specifics (number of citizens, gender breakdown, any off-limits items).  The activities director seemed less than enthusiastic.  This made me feel like the holiday spirit I was trying to promote was not welcome.  I was saddened, not because my idea was not received with the passion I had hoped, but because these seniors are missing out on a little bit of Christmas and seeing a very sweet, well-behaved, snuggly little boy, who may very well remind them of their grandchild.

I am now trying to decide if I should go ahead with the plan or if we should "adopt" a grandmother and grandfather.  Go up to the home once or twice a week, let the "grands" (maybe) hold Weston, read to him, have an adult discussion with me, and then closer to Christmas, give them gifts.  This wouldn't have to stop at Christmas, but this is the hardest time of the year to be alone.  Helping seniors have a cheerful season would make me so happy.

On a lighter note, Weston added another ornament to his Advent tree tonight.

Have a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment