March 7, 2011

Veterinarian Visit

Today was the dreaded bi-annual veterinarian visit for Hattie and Waveland.  This wouldn't be such a big deal if I didn't have to take a 100 pound Great Dane, a 50 pound Labrador and a sweet little boy to the vet all by myself.  Oh, did I mention they all had to fit into the backseat of a Toyota Yaris?

I had a 9:30 (changed 3 days ago since the vet was going to be in the office late) 10:30 appointment and since I wanted to be home by 11:30 to feed Weston and put him down for his nap, I was at the vet's office early in hopes I could be seen early.  I got a shopping cart (the vet is inside a shopping center), put Weston's carseat and Waveland in the cargo area of the cart.  Then, I walked Hattie in.  Since Hattie was pulling and Waveland was threatening to jump out of the cart, I'm sure it was quite hilarious to see me struggling with my three-ring circus on wheels. 

I was quickly put into a room...to wait.  Apparently, there was a mouse, yes a $2.99 mouse, on life support or something ridiculous like that.  More than once a nurse came in to tell me that not one, but both vets were trying to keep this critically ill mouse alive.  Seriously?  It's a MOUSE.  Go buy another one.  I love my pets and I would be devastated if one of them was dying, but a mouse?  Come on!  And I'm fairly sure it didn't require both vets.

Eventually, a vet (I'd never met this particular vet before) did come in and promptly started chastising me for Hattie's behavior.  No, she's not the best behaved dog, but she really hasn't had to be.  We have a huge backyard that is privacy fenced and we don't take her many places and the places we do take her to are deserted.  When she was a puppy, I took her many places to socialize her and get her used to people, however, she's not really "social" and therefore has to stay home rather than going to the park.  She's a one-family dog, she doesn't like other people much and she definitely doesn't like other animals. Since I knew she was going to be a sizeable dog (the breeder though she'd be about 125 pounds), I paid good money for her to go to obedience school when she was about 5 months old.  Unfortunately, she got a certificate out of it, but not much else.  She knows how to sit, shake and stay, things Doug and I have taught her.  Although she's so large, she's very gentle around Weston, which in my opinion, is the most important thing. 

By the time the vet examined Hattie, it was already 11:15, Waveland hadn't yet been examined and they both still needed vaccines.  The vet then called Waveland "Dumbo" when she began acting skittish.  I'm not sure why Waveland is scared of the vet, because she hasn't always been like that.  Between the vet jumping down my throat, the fact that she called Waveland a name, the fact that I was already stressed from trying to transport all three "children" to the vet and the fact that Weston was beginning to fuss because he was hungry, to say I wasn't a happy camper would be a gross understatement.

We finally got both dogs vaccinated, Weston semi calmed down and the bill paid around 12.  When we got home, I fed Weston, put him down for a nap and then enjoyed the peace and quiet for a while.

I am NEVER taking the dogs and Weston to the vet by myself again.  EVER.

No comments:

Post a Comment