March 21, 2011

Dear Amie- Part 2

*I am writing a letter to my grandmother.  You can read Part 1 here*

2006:
In April, Will totaled your Altima.  He wasn't at all injured and the car was technically still driveable, but totaled nonetheless.

In July, Mom, Will and I moved to Orlando...for about 3 weeks.  The county that had hired Mom to teach ended up having to lay off a bunch of people and Mom just happened to be one of them.  However, while we were there, the "big-footed oaf" Great Dane puppy that I wanted so badly arrived.  You'd love how goofy she was.  She tripped all over her lanky legs and gigantic paws.  I named her Manhattan, since I love NYC so much, but we call her Hattie, a nice Southern name you could be proud of.

In August, Mom and Will moved back in with Dad and I went off to college.  I went to Florida Gulf Coast University in Ft. Myers and therefore was a lot closer to home this time and I would have been able to see you a lot more often than I did when I first went to college.  Which reminds me, when I was cleaning out my belongings to move in with Doug, whom you'll hear more about in a bit, I found a lot of noted and postcards you sent to me in Pensacola.  I am so, so, so sorry that I didn't ever write back.  I guess at 18, the beach and friends were more important.  I feel pretty badly about that.  Also in August, Will started 10th, B and C started 6th and L started 2nd grade.

In September, Will got his driver's license and with it, your Altima.  He enjoyed having a car and I think having a piece of you brought him some comfort.  He never really showed emotion after you passed, but he was internally devastated.  Having your scent in the car was eerily refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment