March 22, 2011

Dear Amie- Part 3

*I am writing a letter to my grandmother.  You can read Part 1 here and you can read Part 2 here*
2007:
Right around St. Patty's Day, I got very sick with a still-undetermined illness.  I was hospitalized for a week, but the overall outcome was positive.  Over the next year, I lost almost 100 pounds and on college graduation day, I was a size 0.

I had a grueling summer class schedule.  Since I didn't have housing, I drove to Ft. Myers every Monday evening, took a 4 hour course and stayed with a friend.  Then, on Tuesday, I had class from 8am-9pm and then I drove back home.  It was the hardest 2 months of classes and driving I had done, but I received all A's for the summer, so it was all worth it.

In August, I began my first teaching internship.  I taught a lovely group of 5th grade gifted students half days on Tuesday and Thursday and all day on Wednesdays.  They reminded me a lot of myself at that age-goofy, awkward, but very sweet.  It was so much fun and if/when I return to teaching, this is the age group I would like to teach. Will started 11th grade, B and C 7th and L 3rd.

In November, Mom had surgery for vascular artery disease.  I was terrified I was going to lose her, since she doesn't do well with anesthesia.  However, she came through with flying colors.  She even quit smoking...for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment