March 11, 2011

Extracurricular Activities

Yesterday, I briefly discussed the extracurricular activities that I participated in as a child.  This made me think about how I want to raise my own children regarding extracurricular activities.

First of all, I have no intention of signing my children up for activities that they don't want to do, regardless of what I want them to do.  Secondly, I WILL NOT sign them up for so many activities that they don't have time to do homework and just play outside like children should be able to do. 

I don't plan to let my son(s) play football, even if they want to.  I'd like their necks to remain in one piece thankyouverymuch.  I also hope that my children don't want to play soccer, basketball, karate or play an instrument.  I can't really follow or get into either sport, highly dislike karate and since I am not at all musical, I will have a hard time helping my children with their music.  However, Doug played the saxophone, so if our children have musical talent, it won't be completely surprising.

That said, I will support my children in pretty much any extracurricular endeavors they choose.  In fact, I can't wait to be in the bleachers hooting and hollering for my children and showing them that I support and love them.  Even if my children aren't very good at whatever they choose to do, I will still try to make them feel like winners, within reason of course.  I don't want my children think they are Albert Pujols or Jennie Finch when they don't have the skillz to back it up.  Hopefully if Doug or I can help our children hone their skills at whatever they are doing, they will continue to improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment