January 24, 2011

Senior Citizen Tables

Last night, Doug and I went to dinner.  Across from our table, there was an elderly man dining by himself.  He looked sad to be alone.  He was fairly far through his meal, otherwise I would have invited him to dine with us.

My grandmother was widowed in 1984 at the young age of 51.  She passed away in 2005 at the age of 72.  For 21 1/2 years, my grandmother lived alone.  She had many occasions of going out to dinner by herself and she always felt lonely.

One of the places she liked to dine was Cracker Barrel.  She mentioned to me that it would be nice if places that have a lot of elderly customers would take a big table and set it aside for senior citizens, who would normally be dining alone, to sit together and have conversations.  This way, older diners would have the choice of sitting by themselves or sitting with other people their age.

When I saw the older gentleman across the aisle, I thought of the community table idea my grandmother had many years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment