January 1, 2011

Happy New Year 2011!

It's a new year, which means resolutions and a clean slate.  I will post those tomorrow.


To tie up last year, I figured I would start the year off reviewing the past last year. I saw this Year in Review on other blogs, specifically Kelly's, and decided to participate.

1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
Gave birth to an amazing little boy (June 30th).  Played in snow with my HUSBAND (Feb. 12th) and then with my husband and SON (December 25th and 26th).  Moved to a city where I knew NO ONE (except my husband and son).


2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't make any resolutions, except to be a great mom.  I didn't do as well as I would liked to have.
Resolutions for 2011:
  • Be a better wife
  • Join a church
  • Put down the iPhone and be a more “present” mom
  • Make more personal time for me, whether I go out by myself, take a warm bath, etc.
  • Lose the rest of my baby weight
  • Eat healthier
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
I did!  Weston is a 2010 baby.  A lot of people I know are having babies in 2011 though.


4. Did anyone close to you die?
Nope.  Thank goodness.


5. What countries did you visit?
None


6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
I would like to have a closer relationship with my brother.


7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
February 12th: First snow day in the South.
February 22nd: Ultrasound that showed our baby was healthy and on track.
April 10th: My baby shower.
June 30th: Weston's birth.
September 2nd: First time my brother met Weston.
December 25th: First white Christmas


8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Becoming a mother. 


9. What was your biggest failure?
Being a good mother and wife.  I need to learn to balance the two better in 2011.


10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No.  With the exception of morning sickness, I was healthy all year. 


11. What was the best thing you bought?
The baby's crib.  I love it and am so excited to use it with Weston and future babies.


12. Where did most of your money go?
Preparation for the baby, but it was all totally worth it.


13. What did you get really excited about?
Having a baby, becoming a family, becoming a mommy, and playing Santa and Mrs. Claus.


14. What song will always remind you of 2010?
Anything by Michael Jackson.  When Doug and I first found out we were pregnant, we went and saw "This Is It".  It seemed like that was a perfect title to our life- this is it, we're having a baby.  So, this year, every time I heard a MJ song, I was reminded of that first weekend that we found out we were expecting.


15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Sadder.  Last year, I was filled with the possibilities of the baby I was carrying.  This year, I realize my baby is growing up so quickly and I miss the newborness of him. Maybe this time next year, we'll have another baby on the way.  Only time and God will tell.
– thinner or fatter? heavier.  I still have baby weight to lose, but I hope that it will be gone soon.
– richer or poorer? Financially richer.  We don't have a baby to prepare for and Doug got a new job which included a raise.


16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Spent time with Doug before Weston got here, enjoyed Weston's newborn stage, spent more time with Weston, talked to my brother.

17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Spent time on my iPhone instead of communicating with my husband and baby.

18. How did you spend Christmas?
At home, with family, and playing in the snow.


19. What was your favorite TV program?Just one? I love Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, House, Law and Order: SVU, Modern Family


20. What were your favorite books of the year?
I read a lot of Mary Kay Andrews books.


21. What was your favorite music from this year?
Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, Country and Top 40 in general.

 22. What were your favorite films of the year?
We took Weston to see Toy Story 3, his first movie and I also liked Valentine's Day.


23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 26 and I just hung out with Weston during the day, but Doug, Weston and I went to a Mexican restaurant for dinner and then we met my parents for dessert.


24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If I felt like I did a good job being a wife and a mom.  I had such high hopes for how motherhood would be.  Also, I thought I knew how to balance marriage and motherhood, but it turns out I need to work hard on it.

 
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
For the first half of the year, I was in maternity clothes.  Actually, let's not lie, until about September, I was in maternity clothes.  Haha.  The remainder of the year has been just trying to fit into pre-pregnancy clothes.


26. What kept you sane?
My husband.


27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
I'm borrowing this from Kelly, because she said it best. 
“Whatever you are, be a good one.” ~Abraham Lincoln. I may be “just a mom” but my work is valid, important, and priceless to my “employers” (my husband and son).  I don’t need to be perfect, but I must strive to do my best at whatever I do.  Whether it be mothering, being a wife, a daughter, a laundry-folder, a butt-wiper, a food server, or whatever.  I am the architect for my family’s life, for better or for worse, and everything I do will shape the life we lead.  A huge responsibility, yes.  But oh what a privilege.

No comments:

Post a Comment