*I am writing a letter to my grandmother. You can read Part 1 here*
2006:
In April, Will totaled your Altima. He wasn't at all injured and the car was technically still driveable, but totaled nonetheless.
In July, Mom, Will and I moved to Orlando...for about 3 weeks. The county that had hired Mom to teach ended up having to lay off a bunch of people and Mom just happened to be one of them. However, while we were there, the "big-footed oaf" Great Dane puppy that I wanted so badly arrived. You'd love how goofy she was. She tripped all over her lanky legs and gigantic paws. I named her Manhattan, since I love NYC so much, but we call her Hattie, a nice Southern name you could be proud of.
In August, Mom and Will moved back in with Dad and I went off to college. I went to Florida Gulf Coast University in Ft. Myers and therefore was a lot closer to home this time and I would have been able to see you a lot more often than I did when I first went to college. Which reminds me, when I was cleaning out my belongings to move in with Doug, whom you'll hear more about in a bit, I found a lot of noted and postcards you sent to me in Pensacola. I am so, so, so sorry that I didn't ever write back. I guess at 18, the beach and friends were more important. I feel pretty badly about that. Also in August, Will started 10th, B and C started 6th and L started 2nd grade.
In September, Will got his driver's license and with it, your Altima. He enjoyed having a car and I think having a piece of you brought him some comfort. He never really showed emotion after you passed, but he was internally devastated. Having your scent in the car was eerily refreshing.
Pics
2 weeks ago
No comments:
Post a Comment