August 8, 2012

What Have I Done?!

I have a doctor's appointment this morning.  As much as I'd like the doctor to give me an induction date so that this long, painful, sickly pregnancy can come to an end, I don't want to know when the last day with just Weston will be.  I'd also like to go into labor on my own, since I had to be induced with Weston too.

Ten months ago, it seemed like a really good idea to give Weston a sibling.  However, now that I have a very short time left, I'm wondering how big this mistake is.

Now, I am NOT calling Baby #2 a mistake AT ALL.  The "mistake" I am talking about is all in my head, I'm sure. I'll bullet point and rationalize these thoughts, maybe it will help.

  • Weston is not going to get all of the attention anymore.  How will he deal with that?
    Weston is two.  He won't remember the difference and after a few weeks with the new baby, he'll adjust just fine.
  • Weston is only two and has no idea what is about to occur in his life.
    Weston IS only two, so he won't remember life before the baby arrives.
  • Weston is and has been my and Doug's primary focus for almost 26 months now. How can I give him adequate time and attention, especially in the early weeks when I am so exhausted I can't even see straight?
    That's what teamwork is for.  Each parent focuses on one child.  One-on-one defense, I guess.
  • What if Weston hates us for having another baby?
    Weston doesn't know what hate is and when he does find out what it is, the baby will be old news.
  • I've been told parenting two children is a lot harder than parenting one.  It's not just double the work like one would think.
    If parenting subsequent children really was as difficult as people have said, there wouldn't be nearly as many siblings in this world as there are and there certainly wouldn't be families with more than 2 children.  If I go into parenting two children with no expectations of how our daily life will be, I will be neither happy, nor disappointed if something doesn't work out.
  • Will Weston be scared seeing me in the hospital and unable to go home with him?
    When I was hospitalized for hyperemesis, he came to visit and didn't seem scared.  Of course, it was only one night and he's older now, but hopefully he'll still not care.
These are only a few of my concerns, but only time will tell how they all work out.  I'm also pretty sure that I'm not the first nor will I be the last mom/parent to have these concerns.  Everyone tells me to just breathe and enjoy having my children close together, because soon my fears will be dating, college and an empty nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment