May 24, 2011

High School Graduation

Nine years ago today, I graduated from high school.  I remember the day like it was yesterday. 
We graduated on the last day of school for the school district.  I felt like as seniors, we weren't getting any advantage over the juniors and underclassmen like previous senior classes had.  Every class before us had graduated at least a week before the rest of the county was released for summer vacation.

Since I was on the senior class board, the morning of graduation I had to go to the school and decorate the football stadium (where we graduated).  This actually worked to my benefit because those of us that worked in the morning were able to reserve the best seats in the stands for our families. 

*Side note to the following graduation day memory- one of my aunts worked for an airline and therefore is able to give "buddy passes" to family members, allowing them the ability to fly for free.  The caveat to that is those who fly on the buddy passes fly stand-by, so if the plane is full, since the passenger is not a paying customer, you wait for the next flight.

My aunt who lives in Mississippi was planning on using a buddy pass to get from Mississippi to Atlanta, where my airline aunt and uncle live.  Then, my MS aunt and airline uncle were going to fly together to Florida (my airline aunt was already in Florida helping my grandmother).  My aunt finally arrived in Atlanta after about 3 delays.  When she arrived in Atlanta, my uncle informed her all the flights were booked and they would have to haul to get to Florida in time for graduation, an 8 hour drive away.

Meanwhile, I'm calling the administration building at my high school to find out if I'm even graduating, especially since my aunt and uncle are having to go through all of this harangue just to attend. You see, although I had the intelligence to get good grades, I didn't have the motivation.  Therefore, I was concerned that I hadn't passed a class (or two), making me ineligible to graduate. 
Turns out I passed all of my classes (probably because the teachers didn't want to see me again, especially my French teacher) and graduated that evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment